Monday 27 March 2017

Garmont Palaia GTX - These boots are made for walking

Garmont Palaia GTX mens boots

A well made, solid boot.

For many years I used a pair of budget unbranded walking boots which served me well. When I bought them, my criteria had been simply a strong general purpose ankle boot which I could use for a broad range of outdoor activities in addition to hiking. I was drawn to the Vibram soles and cheap price. They were made in Italy and constructed from swede and nylon. Over the last year I noticed the rear inside heal was rubbing. I tried to use some stick on patches but it didn't stop the blisters. I decided it was time to get rid of them. I was impressed with how well they performed considering how little I paid for them. They never suffered any kind of premature wear and tear before that.

I wanted to get something similar to replace them. At first there didn't seem to be anything compatible for under €100. By luck I came across an offer on a pair of Garmont boots. This was not a maker I was familiar with but they had everything my old boots had plus Goretex lining. My ideal size 10 was not available but fortunately I found the 10.5 was still a good fit. I paid €70 (March 2017) which was far below any equivalent boot.

I've been wearing them now for several weeks for short walks and outdoor work. I'm certainly very pleased with them so far. The ankles are much more padded and supportive than my old boots. If, like me you're not a serious hiker but still want a good boot then I would not hesitate to recommend this one. The only thing is that they don't seem to be widely available in many countries for some reason.





2022 Update

Well, after 5 years these boots are still in great condition. I can't say they've had a very hard life, but I've had no problems whatsoever. They're on their third set of laces. The only time I don't use them is during the winter months when there's snow and ice or hot summertime. For the money I paid these have proved to be a real bargain. 



No comments:

Post a Comment