Sunday 4 February 2024

My new Icebug Haze BUGrip GTX boots (2024) Mens

The name of these icebugs is bit of a mouthful but it distinguishes them from the many other models. 

My new Icebug Haze BUGrip boots Black/Poison


The main reason I purchased these boots was that they had studs, were waterproof and came with a very good discount. I saved €100 buying these onlĂ­ne from the offcial Icebug website in 2024. 

These are my third pair of Icebug boots. I've been using a pair of Icebug Nirax boots for about 3 years and before that I owned a pair of Speed BUGrip boots for a good 8 years.  My current Nirax boots aren't waterproof, which I didn't think would be a problem using them in sub-zero conditions. I was wrong. I experienced some conditions when it was both icy and wet. The boots soon let it water leaving me with wet socks.

I use my Icebugs in a cold urban environment which becomes dangerously icy in winter.

Size/Fit

Buying footwear online is something I try to avoid since different makes and styles can fit differently. I feel much more confident trying them on beforehand. 

I already own a pair of Icebug Nirak BUGrip boots I automatically ordered the same size 43, UK 9, USA 10. However, after I placed my order I became slightly concerned after reading some of the online reviews. Many of the comments said these were quite small and you should order one size up. 

When I received the boots I anxiously tried them on. The box came with a return label which was good but I didn't really want the hasle of returning them. Once I put them on they seemed to fit like a glove. I compared the insoles from my Nirak boots and they were identical as they should be. I do have wide feet which means I sometimes need at least one size bigger than my shoe size. I only wear normal/medium weight socks with Icebugs BUT, if I did want to wear thicker hiking socks or two pairs, then the larger size would be needed. 

The Haze boots on the left have a more 'sporty' profile

The Haze boots appear smaller against my Nirax boots of the same size but this is because of the different shape and style. I think the Haze boots have a more snug fit which makes sense when you read the description as being "speed hiking to everyday use in the city". As with trainers, ideally you want a snug fit. 

The Haze boots appear more chunky from the side



Here's a product information summary provided by Icebug on their website. Both the Haze boots and my old Nirax boots were made in Vietnam. 

 Icebug Haze BUGrip GTX 

The Haze boot is a different shape and tapers in more at the end. I've found this can be a problem for people like myself with wide feet. The moment of truth came and fortunately I still had enough space and about a thumb width at the front. If I pushed my feet forward I could get a finger in the space at the back heal. It would have been nice to try the next size up just for peace of mind, but I decided they were comfortable enough to keep. 

Haze boots on the left and Nirax on the right

I'm still haunted by a few bad purchases in the past where the boots seemed fine when I tried them on but after a while using them I realised they were too tight and I should have got the next size up. Having said that, I do own a pair of hiking boots which I use for general use and they're one and a half sizes bigger than my shoe size. I suppose being too loose can be as bad as being too tight. That's what can happen when you chase bargains only to find your ideal size has sold out! 


I like the bold relfectors on the back - they provide excellent visibilty for car drivers in the dark


Another reason the Haze boot has a more snug fit is that it's quite well padded as seen here next to my Nirax boots. 

I think the Haze  boot on the left has more padding that the Nirax boot

I prefer the boot lace 'retainer' on the Haze boot rather than the one on my Nirax boots. It feels like it holds on better.  

Haze boot retainer on the left


Haze boot on the left and Nirax on the right


Haze boot on the top has 17 metal studs and Nirax on the bottom has 13
 
Nirax boot metal studs. The white 'flakes' are part of the rubber mix

Haze boot metal studs

Haze boots on the right and Nirax on the left










Conclusion

These are expensive to buy but if you can be patient and find them on an offer then they are well worth having. I think they're a well made boot and the good environmental credentials are a bonus. 

I've not tried any cheaper alternatives but have been very satisfied with the Icebug boots I've been using. 

I've just recently been using my new Haze boots on different kinds of ice and they've proved to be exellent. The style is down to personal preference and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of their boots. 

I've been using them at about -5c with just thin socks and my feet have remained warm enough - even with lots of static use. I think the insulation is better than with my Icebug Nirax boots. 

Update: I went for a 20-30 minute brisk walk on compact snow and ice in -10c and my feet were warm enough just wearing medium weight sports socks. 

Whilst mine are a 'snug' fit, I would recommend that most people do in fact buy one size up from their normal shoe size. This is something I usually do for any kind of walking boot. Unless, you prefer a very snug fit to a 'looser' fit with this style of footwear. However, if I find myself buying another pair in future, I will probably order the next size up. Especially for anyone like me with wider feet.



No comments:

Post a Comment