Monday 12 September 2016

Canberra plane crash Huntingdon, England 1977

Copyrite protected
Aftermath of the Canberra plane crash in Huntingdon, England 1977
  
 
Back in 2007 I started researching a Canberra plane crash which happened at Huntingdon, England on Tuesday 3 May 1977. There was almost nothing on the internet when I looked, which was surprising considering the severity of the incident in which two adults and three children died.  
 
Daily Mirror Canberra Plane Crash Huntingdon 1977
Daily Mirror - Wednesday 04 May 1977
 
 
Canberra Plane carsh Huntingdon 1977
Newcastle Evening Chronicle - Tuesday 03 May 1977
 
 
Plane hits row of houses Huntingdon 1977
Coventry Evening Telegraph - Tuesday 03 May 1977

 
Initially, I found only two references. One from 'A History of Firefighting in Cambridgeshire' by Eddie Baker. In Chapter 14 under 'Incidents of interest' appears a paragraph detailing the incident along with a photograph.

Canberra jet aircraft crash Huntingdon

 

 
 
The second source of my initial research came from the House of Commons Hansard archives. Questions raised at the House of Commons on 21 November 1977 regarding the Canberra aircraft accident. Ref. tHC Deb 21 November 1977 vol 939 cc568-70W 568W:



 
 
 
 
My interest in this stems from my childhood memories of the crash. I was 9 years old at the time and recall seeing a plume of smoke coming from the direction of the crash site from my own school playground. My school at the time was Huntingdon County Junior School. The plane crashed into houses in Norfolk Road which was less than 2 miles from my school. 

Location of the crash site as it appears today


I still have three small pieces of the wreckage which were given to me at the time – two small pieces of aluminum and a piece of perspex which I assume is from the cockpit. I was given these by the son of a Mr Hall, who was the Deputy Headmaster at Huntingdon County Junior School. It was part of a number of ‘swaps’. I can remember children at my school showing me pieces of debris which they had 'appropriated'. 
 
Fragments of the PR9 Canberra
 

The RAF Canberra PR9 was returning from photographic tasks in Scotland.  The crew were instructed to perform a ‘Practice Pan leading to an asymmetric recovery and overshoot’.

Asymmetric flying is when the power to one engine is reduced to idle speed to simulate engine failure. It then becomes critical that the pilot retains balance using the correct sequence of fin/rudder control and speed. If too much power is applied to the ‘live’ engine, or too quickly, then the aircraft will roll, the nose will drop and control is lost. This happens very quickly and if the aircraft is too close to the ground it’s unlikely to recover.  There have been numerous other incidents of this happening during the time the Canberra was operational.  Some of these other incidents also resulted in the deaths of the crew.

The aircraft crashed between two rows of houses at the end of Norfolk Road, Huntingdon. This was just 1.8 miles from the runway at RAF Wyton. Fire from ruptured fuel tanks almost completely destroyed 7 houses and badly damaged 9 others.  Tragically, three children were killed after becoming  trapped in the burning houses. They were aged just 4 months, 2 years and 4 years old.

The navigator ejected at around 100ft, which is about the minimum height required for a seat to work effectively. Although the ejector seat had detached and parachute deployed, the seat trajectory was into the path of the resulting fireball which is why the navigator did not survive. His severely charred body was found close to his ejector seat. Meanwhile, the pilot remained at his controls until the seat ejected his body from the wreckage on impact. It seems he was still trying to regain control of the aircraft in the final seconds before impact. The navigator had failed to secure his helmet which was found intact nearby, although this was not a contributing factor to his death.  The navigators helmet was shown on television news reports from the time (photo below).

Huntingdon aircraft plane crash 1977
The navigators helmet recovered from the scene
 


Here's a selection of photographs from the accident investigation report reproduced here with permission. These may not have been previously published and those of a sensitive nature have been omitted. 


















Gas and electricity had to be disconnected affecting about 140 houses on the estate and hot meals were provided at the local school.  The site was cleared of wreckage by 17:00 on Sunday 8 May 1977. Demolition of burnt out houses began Monday 9 May.


The board of enquiry investigating the crash concluded: 

“The aircraft did not roll out of the finals turn but more than sufficient power to overshoot was applied to the port engine. The Board concludes that the pilot must have applied overshooting power before rolling the wings level. On this occasion, a combination of power on the engine outside the turn to the limit of directional control and aileron applied to level the wings or to counter the effect of wind gusts would have been sufficient to achieve fin stall. In the PR9 the powered rudder masks all warning of approaching fin stall, and the pilot probably did not realise that he was close to fin stall when it occurred.  The Board believed that fin stall is the most probable cause of the accident

 

These two diagrams reconstruct the Canberra's final rapid descent:

Canberra plane crash final descent

 

RAF Canberra PR9 photographic reconnaissance jet


The RAF retired the last of these aircraft in 2006.

Since 2016 I've found more information from various sources and have been able to update this page further, such as these videos found on Youtube. 







Flight International 17 December 1977

The Aviation Safety Network website also provides links to other available sources of information.

 

I was pleased to learn that in 2017 a memorial service was held at the crash site to mark the 40th Anniversary. A memorial bench was unveiled which features five white doves to represent those who lost their lives. A fitting tribute to a tragic event, as reported by the Huntingdon Hunts Post.





5 comments:

  1. I was the first ambulance man on scene that day,my colleague was John Robinson from Godmanchester , I could tell my own story of that day if someone was to ask

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes please. I would be very interested to hear about your memories from that day if you're willing to share them here. Please let me know by posting another comment here and include a contact email address (optional) if you would like to get in touch with me, which will not be made public. Alternatively, you can simply post what you would like me to publish directly here with or without your name. I can include whatever you want. Sorry for the delay, I've had a technical problem with my blog which is now resolved.

      Delete
    2. My family and I lived in one of the houses affected by this tragedy. Remember it like it was yesterday. Funnily enough the John Robinson mentioned above was also the dad of a schoolfriend of mine.

      Delete
  2. My family and I lived in 69. My baby brother was killed. My mum and I came to the 40th Anniversary memorial from Australia. It gave a little closure to many years of grief in an odd way. I bought the bear that an emergency responder gave me at the time, he wasnt at the memorial unfortunately. I would have loved to have seen him to thank him for my childhood companion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a student at Huntingdon college at the time. Myself and a class of students looking out the window saw the plane fall out of the sky. 5 of us ran out the room hot in a car and arrived at the scene, about half a mile away. We arrived before any if the emergency services. What we found was a scene out of a war movie. We were all in shock. We could hear children screaming, but no one was able to rescue them. Flayed started to activate and fly across the ground and indeed under some parked cars. The five of us were able to drag a couple of cars away from danger. I in fact saw one of the crew members still in his seat, impaled into the concrete pathway. A sight I will never forget. The fire brigade arrived at this point. I pointed to the crew member on the ground and a fire put a blanket over him. I have since found a photo of a priest kneeling next to him saying a prayer. Boy did we get in trouble from the principal at the college for leaving the classroom and driving to the crash scene!

    ReplyDelete