Monday 12 September 2016

Was that 'Lofty' Sugden in Huntingdon during the 1970's?

One thing I like about the internet is being able to research things from your childhood. Whether it's music, toys or events, there's often some reference to it somewhere on the web. I find it satisfying being able to fill in the missing blanks from vague memories.

Huntingdon 1970's
Don Estelle
Anyone who lived in Huntingdon (Cambridgeshire, England) during the 1970's probably caught sight of one rather unusual elderly gentleman. He could often be seen walking the streets wearing a WW2 soldiers khaki tropical uniform complete with pith helmet.

I was very young at the time but remember one boy from our neighborhood telling us that if you made machine gun noises he would run for cover (yes, not very nice I know but children can be rather insensitive).

I've often wondered who he was and his own personal story. I would be very interested if anyone else has memories of him.

The older British readers amongst you may remember 'Lofty' played by Don Estelle in the 1970's television series 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum'. I've used this image as it reminds me of the gentleman I've referred to - no disrespect intended. The title I used was also rather tongue-in-cheek simply to catch peoples attention.

 
Update 2021: I’ve been informed that this gentleman was George Chambers of Huntingdon, but I don’t have any more information about him at this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment